Login Failure

Rashkae git at meaford.com
Mon Mar 26 03:54:13 GMT 2001

There was one mistake in the explanation. Samba does not reject the client
if the hosts allow / hosts deny are specified by IP address. However,
because it uses the tcp wraper, it nonetheless performs a reverse lookup.
The lookup is sent to the DHCP in the due course, and the DNS server
spends time trying to lookup it up.. Unfortunately, by the time DNS gives
up and reports a failure, SMB clients time out. The DNS server caches the
request. So that client will be able to re-connect for as long as the
cached request lives.  By listing the client IP address in the /etc/hosts
file, even without a host name, you prevent the lookup from being sent to
the DNS server, so no timeout.  For some reason, despite all the problems
this has caused, no one seems to have mentioned this prominantly in the
base documentation... tsk tsk.  oplock, strict locking and dos filesystem
should also be better documented. (Note, I don't hold the Samba team
responsible for that. This kind of common troubleshooting should be in the
smb.conf file provided by distributions, well commented with exambles.)