Resolving DNS names to an IP in NT 4 domain

Erik Spigle spigle at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 25 23:40:42 GMT 2001

Hi

I recently started working with somba on my Slackware box, and got it going
with file sharing.  However, I need a little more functionality out of it.
I'll start with my situation, and what I need to do.

I run a webserver on IIS 5.0 on a Win 2000 box.  It is strictly a LAN
webserver and only accessable from thos on the inside.  People access from
their browser via my Win 2000 computer name, ie - http://<w2k computer
name>.  It all works real nice for the Windows computers on the network, but
for me on this Linux box, it doesn't work.  It can't resolve http://<w2k
computer name> to the right IP and get me on the page.  I'm assuming this is
because the Linux box lacks the ability to resolve host/computer names to
ips.

I worked with a guy for a while on this, but we really got nowhere.  We
messed with win hook settings in smb.conf, and a script he wrote.  I've left
it running a while, but still, no go.  Are there some settings and
configurations I can tweak and work with in Samba to get this done?  I would
really like to get it going.  I hope I've been fairly clear in what is
needed, and you understand it.

I hope to hear back from someone soon, and will be glad to hear of some way
to get this functionality out of my Linux box.

Thanks

Erik