File changes not being written immediately

Lance Lovette lance-samba at dailyrating.com
Fri Mar 23 23:18:02 GMT 2001

Our development team has been having the following issue for quite some time
and I cannot isolate the problem. I saw a similar posting in the archives
but there are no replies.

We are running Samba 2.0.7 on a RedHat 6.2 server and we connect to the
server from Windows 2000 desktops. We are editing files through a drive
mapped to a share on the server. The problem is when we save the file in the
editor, the changes are not immediately written to disk. It can take
anywhere from 10 to 45 seconds for the changes to appear on the server. I
can test this by saving a file from Windows and using VI on the server. The
problem is exhibited most prominently by Allaire Homesite 4.5 but it also
occurs less frequently in other editors we have experimented with. Any
ideas?

Thanks!
Lance