Timeserver sending wrong time to Windows Clients

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Fri Mar 23 15:09:56 GMT 2001

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> David Rankin wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > Andrew, I am still having problems. I have checked and rechecked everything
> > and here is what is happening:
> >
> > [root at Nemesis /etc]# ntpdate ntp5.tamu.edu
> > 22 Mar 23:32:29 ntpdate[15408]: adjust time server 165.91.52.110 offset
> > 0.000278 sec
> >
> > THIS SHOWS NTP SET THE CLOCK TO LOCALTIME - I DON'T GET IT?

GMT for me on the other side of the big pond was 23 Mar 05:32:29

> > [root at Nemesis /etc]# date
> > Thu Mar 22 23:32:44 CST 2001
> >
> > DATE SHOWS CORRECT LOCALTIME
> >
> > [root at Nemesis /etc]# hwclock
> > Thu Mar 22 17:32:45 2001  -0.625124 seconds
> >
> > HWCLOCK SHOWS TIME SET 12 HOURS SLOW - HMMM

GMT  23 Mar 05:32:29 - Mar 22 17:32:45 = 12 hours for me

> By my math thats actually 6 hours slow, ie correct.
>
> Unfortunately hwclock has no way to tell if the hardware clock is in
> local time or UTC.  Run hwclock --utc to have answers converted to your
> local timezone.  (This is all the UTC/localtime setting actually does,
> it just selects the command line for hwclock).
>
> In any case, if the system keeps its time over a reboot, then this is
> not the issue.  I certainly see no signs that the hardware level is at
> fault.

System keeps its time perfectly over reboot

> At the level samba and NTP operate the hardware clock is irrelevant,
> only hwclock actually touches it.
>

> > [root at Nemesis /etc]# zdump /usr/share/zoneinfo/CDT6CST
> > /usr/share/zoneinfo/CDT6CST  Thu Mar 22 23:34:22 2001 /usr/share/zoneinfo/CDT
> > [root at Nemesis /etc]# zdump /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
> > /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London  Fri Mar 23 05:36:02 2001 GMT
> >
> > ZDUMP WORKS RIGHT FOR BOTH CST AND GMT
> >
> > [root at Nemesis /etc]# date
> > Thu Mar 22 23:36:40 CST 2001
> >
> > DATE STILL WORKING RIGHT
> >
> > After a brief Win98 reboot
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS>net time \\Nemesis /set /yes
> > Current time at \\NEMESIS is 3-23-2001 5:47A.M.
> > The command was completed successfully.
> >
> > WINDOWS CLIENTS STILL GET GMT - ANY THOUGHTS?
> >
> > Like I said, I a fresh out of ideas. I read and read and I think I have
> > everything ironed out and no matter what I do, windows still gets time 6 hours
> > ahead of what it should.
> > --
> > David Rankin
> > Nacogdoches, Texas
>
> What value do you have for 'time offset' (in smb.conf).  It just looks
> too much like you have specified what you thought was the timezone in
> 'time offset' only to have samba do 'timezone + time offset' in its
> calculations.

I Never use 'time offset'. My uderstanding it is just a fudge factor to correct for
1 hr daylight savings time problems that I haven't run into yet.

> (I actually am yet to see a good use for 'time offset', no doubt there
> is, but anyway).
>
> In any case, the worst case scenario is to install NTPtime, an open
> source delphi program that just polls a time (NTP) server and sets the
> system clock.  (I've used this, and it works spectacularly.  I have an
> entire network using it off my central time server.).
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andrew Bartlett

It does, Thanks!  I have a much better understanding about what effects the time
samba gives to my windows machines. My goal is still to get the hardware clock
sync'ed to GMT and set the system clock to local time via timezone info and have
samba serve the right time. It may take me a little while longer -- but I'll get to
the bottom of this anomaly.  Nemesis (appropriate name for my Linux box) will not
have the last word.