2.2.0 Alpha2 and print drivers

Fouquet, Errol Errol.Fouquet at mms.gov
Thu Mar 22 20:45:34 GMT 2001

Basically, after creating the "print$" share, you browse to your printers
from a W2K or NT server as a root user. In the share you will have a
"printers" folder. If you browse into this folder, there will be an icon for
all of your shared printers. You "right-click" and access properties. You
install a device driver, and the files are pushed to the samba server. Samba
2.2.0 actually behaves like an NT4.0 spooling system. It is capable of
serving print drivers to multiple platforms (win95, nt, win2k ... ). It's a
big change from the "printer.def" file way of doing things. I just hope that
ultimately there will be a way to set this up without having to browse to
all the printers and install drivers.

This is the document which comes with 2.2.0: