Weird problem

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Mar 22 14:28:20 GMT 2001

Hi Mark,
The errors you are getting indicate that the fopen of the smbpassword file
failed (ie system returned a null pointer
instead of a filepointer to the call).  It's unfortunate that the debug
statement doesn't return errno as well in this
case, so we wouldn't have to guess - but some TRANSIENT reasons for a
failure of this type (ie that would correct
itself) is that the process doing the open has exceeded it's maxfileopens.
Or the system filetable is full (should probably
see a syslog error if you have these cases, depending on what type of system
you are running on).
The three errors are basically a 'cascade' - all occurring from the root
problem of not being able to do an fopen() on the
smbpasswd file.  You can look at the man page for fopen() to see all the
errors that could return; check you system for
possible conditions that might generate these errors.
You might also want to change your log file in global section of smb.conf to
log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m; that
way you would get individual log files for each client machine; and could
tell if these errors are consistently being generated
from a particular machine connection, or type of machine...
'Course, if you're really brave, you could go in an modify the DEBUG
statement in startsmbfilepwent() so it returns the errno
and see what the REAL system error is...
Hope this helps,
Don