smbclient error message

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Mar 21 14:09:21 GMT 2001

Hi Malar,
Unless you are using the CIFS/9000 SERVER (samba) version that ships with
HP-UX 11.0,
Samba defaults the guest account to the unix user nobody, and unix group
nogroup; these are set to negative numbers on an HP-UX system, and Samba
will choke on these.  So it is possible (guessing without seeing a debug
log) that this is your issue; try creating a dummy user in your /etc/passwd
file (we use smbnull) and setting "guest account=smbnull" in your global
section of smb.conf.
Probably a long shot, but easy to try.
Don