Question regarding OS/390 & Samba 2.2

Mikehudock at aol.com Mikehudock at aol.com
Tue Mar 20 13:38:01 GMT 2001

I work at a health insurance company that has OS/390 v2.8 running on the mainframe and have been recently exploring the expanded use of OS/390 to possibly act as our file and print server. In our current environment, we have a multitude of NT file and print servers in our server "farm" and are looking at the possibility of server consolidation using OS/390.

My question pertains to the print function. We have created a print server environment on our OS/390 test LPAR utilizing SMB and InfoPrint Server, elements of OS/390. We have encountered the obstacle wherein we are unable to have print drivers automatically download to the client(windows NT desktops) via SMB. This will be a major showstopper in terms of demonstrating equal or better functionality of the print server under OS/390 as opposed to an NT print server.

I understand that Samba 2.2 has the capability to allow print drivers to automatically download to the client. Is it possible to exploit this new functionality of Samba within OS/390 or is there a compatibility issue?

Thanks for your time & assistance.

Mike Hudock