PAM login woes

sidewinder sidewinder at usa.net
Tue Mar 20 04:17:45 GMT 2001

Maybe somebody can help me with this. I have a linux machine running a
samba server. The client windows box can access samba shares, including
printing, which requires password acceptance. However, PAM prevents
the user from logging into the home directory.

I've tried various strategies, including compiling samba without pam
support.  Doesn't make a difference. I saw something about this in a faq
or other document at samba.org, but the proposed solution didn't work.
I'd include the smb.conf file, but it's a) long and b) isn't the problem.

Is there any way to get around this? Or am I missing something obvious?

Any help appreciated.