Question regarding OS/390 & Samba 2.2

Hudock, Mike (CBC) Mike.Hudock at CapBlueCross.COM
Mon Mar 19 20:49:27 GMT 2001

We  have OS/390 v2.8 running on the mainframe here and have been recently
exploring the expanded use of OS/390 to possibly act as our file and print
server. In our present environment, we have a multitude of NT file and print
servers in our server farm and looking at the possibility of server
consolidation using OS/390.

My question pertains to the printing function. Currently, we have created a
print server environment on OS/390 utilizing SMB and InfoPrint Server. We
have encountered an obstacle wherein SMB is unable to automatically download
print drivers to the client (desktop) from the OS/390 print server. This
would be a major showstopper in terms of demonstrating equal or better
functionality in OS/390 as opposed to NT.

I understand that Samba 2.2 has the ability to allow print drivers to
automatically download to the client. Is it possible to exploit this new
functionality of Samba within OS/390?

Thanks for your time & assistance.

Mike Hudock