Question

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Mon Mar 19 07:40:28 GMT 2001

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 10:57:02PM -0500, Betsy Matallana de James wrote:
> What could be causing the file locks to change?  One minute the server
> thinks it is "myadmin" logged on with full privileges to the files as it
> should and everything works wonderful.  Then the file locks change and the
> user can not save their work?  It is almost as if the workstation is telling
> the server I am "myadmin" to start with and sometime later changes telling
> the server it is some other user (Joe, Mary, Bob).

The connection is probably idle for a while, and NT will timeout the
connection.  When there is activity, it will reconnect to the server.

> Have you seen this happen before?  Any ideas on a possible cause?
>
> I appreciate any help you can provide
>
> Thanks, eagerly awaiting your reply,
> Betsy

We need much more information on this subject.  Your paragraphs were a good
description, but now we need details.

What version of NT? what service pack?

Samba version?

Kernel version?

Distribution?

Any patches?

Windows utilities installed/running that affect networking?

You get the direction I'm going in....

Mike