Whats all this Linux business anyway?

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu Mar 15 20:19:20 GMT 2001

Rick Masters wrote:

> Alright lads,
>
> I'm Rick Masters and I know very little about networks, but for some mad
> reason I have been given the job of setting up a Linux File Server on an NT
> network. How the dickens does that work? Anyway I need as much help as you
> can be bothered to give me. And there is a free pizza in it for the guy who
> helps me get it working :-)

Rick, I'm hungry!

First off start by reading Using Samba, Robert Eckstein, David Collier-Brown,
Peter Kelly, 1st Edition November 1999 which is INCLUDED as an html doc in the
Samba 2.07 distribution. It gives the background and you will become familiar
with what you are up against. Samba is awesome and will knock the socks off of
NT.

Your initial question is way way to broad to rationally answer on this list.
Come back with a few more specifics after reading the html doc