Win2k disconnects mapped samba shares

JON GERDES GERDESJ at gkn-whl.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 11:17:03 GMT 2001

I too have this "feature" with a mapped drive to a Samba share from a Win2k PRo box (SP1) but then again I also get it on a drive mapping to a Win 2k server.  In both cases, clicking on the red X'd out mapping reconnects with no errors.  That is I see no difference between the Samba and 2k server's behaviour.

However I do not use domain security in either case.  The servers are both in workgroups.

Cheers
Jon Gerdes

>>> Posselt Werner <w.posselt at maco.at> 03/14/01 09:48am >>>
Hello,

I stepped through the archives of this list, but could not find a
thread dealing with exactly this problem we are experiencing here.

Server HP-UX 10.20 Samba 2.0.6
security = domain
deadtime = 500    ... that should be enough

The win2k clients map a drive and everything is working fine.
after a period of inactivity (about half an hour) win2k somehow disconnects
the mapped drive
and marks the network connection with a red 'X'.
this is documented as a feature in the win2k knowledge base.
that seems work on nt-servers they reconnect if you access the 'sleeping'
connection.

But it does not work on the samba drives.
it gets reconnected somehow after a few pop-ups telling you the connection
is no longer available and some weird things.

there is a Key in
\\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
called
LAN Autodisconnect with a valid range of -1 to 65535
-1 is disable.

But it does not disable this 'feature'
LanmanServer is maybe not really the right place either?

Any idea how to stop this behaviour and keep the connections active?
This would be very much appreciated.

TIA, Werner