2 samba server in same computer?

Stefaan A Eeckels Stefaan.Eeckels at ecc.lu
Tue Mar 13 14:21:48 GMT 2001

On 13-Mar-2001 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>  I am trying to find a way to run 2 samba PDC servers on the same computer.
>  One samba server is the one in production and the other will be used for
>  testing.
>
>  So far I have not found a way to do this, is it possible at all?
>  I only have one network card.

The way to do this is to assign a second address to your NIC,
and bind each instance of Samba to its own address. On Solaris:

# ifconfig hme0 addif 192.168.2.20
Created new logical interface hme0:1
#

In you smb.conf file, set

        interfaces = 192.168.2.20/24
        bind interfaces only = True

for the second instance, and (assuming hme0's address is
192.168.1.20)

        interfaces = 192.168.1.20/24
        bind interfaces only = True

for the first instance of Samba.

Without a second address, you can't run more than one instance
of Samba; it uses specific ports (137-139), and IP address+port+
protocol (TCP/UDP) needs to be unique...

Stefaan
--
How's it supposed to get the respect of management if you've got just
one guy working on the project?  It's much more impressive to have a