2 samba server in same computer?

Stephan Lauffer lauffer at ph-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 13 13:58:26 GMT 2001

Hi!

Why not add a second NIC or virtual IP:
ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
and then set up the second samba server on this eth0:0?

> You cannot have two PDC on the same MS NT Domain, hence the acronym Primary
That's true, but why not have two domains with two PDCs?

> > I am trying to find a way to run 2 samba PDC servers on the same computer.
(...)
> > I only have one network card.
no problem.

BTW: the last days Guenther Deschner sent me his howto which handles
exactly what we're talking about:
http://www.deschner.de/gd/dual_samba.html

Just one notice: Guenther tells us to bind the interface with:
[global]
                bind interfaces only = true
                interfaces = 192.168.44.45

but if you want to allow users using smbpasswd from localhost, you should
add localhost to the list of the interfaces:
		interfaces = 192.168.44.45 127.0.0.1

Liebe Gruesse, with best regards
Stephan Lauffer

[ Pedagogical University Freiburg - Germany ]
[ http://www.ph-freiburg.de/zik/            ]