Invalid ICMP error

Klaus Wirl kwirl at lucent.com
Tue Mar 13 12:18:24 GMT 2001

Adam Klein wrote:

> To anyone who is well versed with  samba,
>
> I am currently setup with ip masquerading with a cable modem connection to
> my ISP.  I have an error message that continues to show up on my linux box.
> It says:
>
> 10.58.0.1 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.
>
> This means it is my linux box sending an invalid packet out through my
> modem.  This started to happen when I installed samba.  So I hav come to the
> conclusion that there is some setting that is causing this take effect.  I
> would be gracious to anyone who would know how I could resolve this problem.
> There has got to be some kind of configuration somewhere within my settings
> of the smb.conf that needs to be changed.  Any direction would be great.

Adam,

i have no idea where this really comes from. But as this was annoying to
me
i did an

  echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses
  echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts

and that worked. (SuSE 6.2 / Kernel 2.2.10)
You may have to include these commands into your startup scripts
to have it after the reboot.

Regards, Klaus

--
| Klaus P. Wirl             | Email: kwirl at lucent.com   |