Samba 2.2alpha2 and Domain Name

David A. Mason damason at davenet.mine.nu
Mon Mar 12 16:07:20 GMT 2001

This past weekend I experienced something interesting. (Perhaps this is
already documented somewhere, but if not, here's notice:)

After triple-checking all settings and attempting unsuccessfully to join my
Samba-controlled domain with Windows 2000, I was left scratching my head for
a few minutes, until I took a chance and tried one last thing, which fixed
the problem.

My NT domain, which I had not been able to join, had been DAVE.LAN, but when
I changed that name to DAVELAN, joining worked quickly and flawlessly.

Perhaps a dot character in the NT domain name is not a wise thing with Samba
2.2alpha2?