Samba and W95/98/NT clients - dropping connections

Rashkae git at meaford.com
Mon Mar 12 01:25:50 GMT 2001

Ok, this may not be your problem per say, as the symptons sound different,
but it's worth a shot. It seems that smbd tried to reverse resolve the ip
addresses of the clients, which can cause various timeout problems if the
request gets sent to a DNS server that does not handle your internal IP
addresses. A quick and dirty way to stop this from happening (and test if
it's your problem) is to list all the possible addresses of your Windows
clients in your /etc/hosts file. You don't have to provide a host name,
just list the IP addresses, 1 per line, no leadin space. Ex:

10.0.0.2
10.0.0.3
10.0.0.4
10.0.0.5

Yes, it can be a long process if you use a DHCP server with a large range
of IP's, but it fixed all the bizare problems I was having with Samba.