Request for AutoCAD help with Samba server!

Forrest praxis at techpraxis.com
Sun Mar 11 23:24:18 GMT 2001

Hi everyone,
If you have experience using Samba < 2.0.7 with AutoCAD 2000/2000i or R14 on
a LAN, where the Windows 2000 Professional clients running AutoCAD
2000/2000i are opening .dwg files and XREFS off of the server, particularly
if you know tips on tuning Samba's performance so that AutoCAD reports it
can't find files on the server or load XREFs, please either post your
comments to the list or you can email me off list.  I am administering a
mixed PC/Mac network for an architectural firm, and Samba began to have
problems with AutoCAD about 1.5 months ago. I have no problems with many of
the things that people often report trouble with, encryption of passwords is
working fine, only problems are serious issues with AutoCAD where a user
will find that they do not have read/write access to a file that belongs to
them or their group on the server.  Below is a copy of my smb.conf:

------------------------- /etc/smb.conf ------------------------------------

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2001/03/04 17:35:08

# Global parameters
[global]
    workgroup = CAA