Win200 Server and Samba

Mike Fedyk mikef at matchmail.com
Sat Mar 10 03:59:13 GMT 2001

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 02:12:09PM +0000, TJ Boyle wrote:
> Seems Unlikely although I cannot give you a definite yes or no, the reason I
> think it's unlikely is because Microsofts Active directory services uses Ldap
> and kerberos encryption from what I gather and that they have taken the ldap
> protocol and put there own hooks in, making in incompatible with others LDAP
> services, also I believe they got the source for kerberos from MIT and didn't
> tell them the changes they made so it's slighty incompatible with standard
> kerberos services. If this was not the case I suppose PAM+LDAP authentication
> may have worked in some way to authenticate of the ADS on the W2k.
>
> Regards,
> TJ
>
> P.S. I have never done any testing, this is just what I picked up from looking a
> little in to this.

There are two possible solutions for you:

1: Tweaked ldap auth against win2000

IIRC, win2k took kerberos and one of its "implementation specific" header
fields and put a little encrypted id of some sort.  It was thought that it
could be worked around with little hassle.  You will probably find some good
info on some mailing list archives.

2: winbind, and nt4 auth from win2k

win2k should have services that let it act as nt4 domain controllers, you
can use that with the winbind pam module and have your *entire* linux box
auth against nt2k.

In a setup like this, if win2k goes down, everything is outta luck!  Have
live backups, however win2k does it now.

Mike