wish list

Peter de Groot pdgtech at kalnet.com.au
Fri Mar 9 16:21:15 GMT 2001

True ...

I get the feeling that all of the bits are already in
the code .... just a matter of repackaging them.

Cheers

Peter

Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:37:22 Peter de Groot wrote:
> >
> > Be nice to have a "real time" sniffer program that
> > gives me a handle on what the browse lists and lookups
> > are doing.
> >
> > nmblookup sort of does it ............. but I
> > would like to be able to see the browse list
> > synchronising/requests..  what the wins server is
> > doing... the browse list/name lookups/election
> >
> > requests coming in from the windows clients.. also
> > the PDC and BDC traffic.
> >
> > The traffic coming in from other subnets.
> >
> > Watch the broadcast traffic for domain master etc etc
> >
> > Would also be nice to see the name lookups ...
> > DNS vs and WINS to try and get a bit of a feel on
> > how it all hangs together.
> >
> > Be nice to have this running when starting the
> > samba server(s), booting a PC .. running down subnet
> > sync problems etc etc
> >
> > Very often I used to get a rogue PC(s) that used to
> > do their own thing.. DNS/wins server settings etc .. and
> > this would be useful to find them.
>
> I think I understand what you want.  Ethereal might be
> a good start.  I need to think some.
>
> Cheers, jerry
>    /\  Gerald (Jerry) Carter                     Professional Services
>  \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
>        http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org
>        http://www.plainjoe.org/                     jerry at plainjoe.org
>
>        "...a hundred billion castaways looking for a home."
>                                 - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )

              PDG Technical Services Pty Ltd
                      ABN 25077936933
 Peter de Groot                             P.O. Box 10349
  08) 90916817                              Kalgoorlie 6430
 pdgtech at kalnet.com.au                      Western Australia