Win200 Server and Samba

TJ Boyle thomas.boyle at openwave.com
Fri Mar 9 14:12:09 GMT 2001

Seems Unlikely although I cannot give you a definite yes or no, the reason I
think it's unlikely is because Microsofts Active directory services uses Ldap
and kerberos encryption from what I gather and that they have taken the ldap
protocol and put there own hooks in, making in incompatible with others LDAP
services, also I believe they got the source for kerberos from MIT and didn't
tell them the changes they made so it's slighty incompatible with standard
kerberos services. If this was not the case I suppose PAM+LDAP authentication
may have worked in some way to authenticate of the ADS on the W2k.

Regards,
TJ

P.S. I have never done any testing, this is just what I picked up from looking a
little in to this.

Mathias Hemmeter wrote:

> Hello everybody!
> I've got a network with a working Windows2000 Server (acting as a file
> server and being responsible for user authentification) and some Win2000
> Professional Clients.
> I want to do the following:
> I want to integrate other Workstations to the existing Domain and I want to
> integrate a Linux computer. Therefor I want to use Samba to share disk space
> with the Win Clients. But there is one thing I don't want to do and that is
> to create all the Windows Users on the Linux Computer. A friend told me that
> it is possible to use the Win2000 Active Directory Users with the Help of a
> WINS Server on the Win2000 Server. But yet I did not manage to get it
> working....
> So is it possible to use the Active Directory Users as the Samba users so
> that I don't have to create every user as well on the Linux Computer?
>
> Thank you very much
> Mathias
>
> --

TJ Boyle
Systems Administrator
Openwave Systems (N.I.) Ltd
Capital House
3 Upper Queen Street
Belfast
BT1 6LS

DDI: +44 (0)28 9041 6070       Tel: +44 (0)28 9041 6200
Fax: +44 (0)28 9041 6201       Mob: +44 (0)7968 837 065

OPENWAVE. The combination of Phone.com and Software.com.

"Privacy and Confidentiality notice: The information contained in this
electronic mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) only.
It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not
an intended recipient, you must not copy, forward, distribute or take
any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this electronic mail
message in error, please notify the sender immediately".