VPN Newbie wants to try to connect from home

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Fri Mar 9 04:41:42 GMT 2001

This is a VPN newbie question (if there is such a thing) that is simply
looking for help/documentation that will let me connect my Win98 box at
home to my office network. (I have read the VPN-HOWTO and VPN
Masquerade-HOWTO)

The setup:

    Home:
        Win98
        cable modem to the net (DHCP).

    Office
        Linux Mandrake 7.2 (Serves 4 WinXX clients)
        Samba 2.07
        Linksys cable/dsl router (with port forwarding capability)
        Static IP
        cable modem to the net

Currently I can telnet, FTP and http into my Linux box from home. I
would like to set up a VPN so I can access my samba shares from Win98 at
home in a more useable manner than telnet, FTP, etc.. Don't get me
wrong, I am flat amazed and astonished that telnet, FTP and http work as
well as they do and I can do 90% of what I need to do with those
services. What I would like to do is eliminate the FTP into office, copy
file to home, edit file, FTP back into office, copy file back to office.

With that said, I have read the VPN-HOWTO and VPN Masquerade HOWTO and
while they discuss setting up PPTP on the client side, most of the
discussion on the server side is directed to Master -- Slave Linux box
setup. What I get from the howtos is that I should be able to configure
the Win98 box at home to use the linksys router at work as its gateway,
port forward the port in the router to allow ssh/pptpd traffic to pass
through to my linux box. Where I melt down is figuring out how to set up
the linux box from there.

Does anyone know of a basic document that describes how to configure a
linux/samba box to support a simple Win9X VPN connection to be made.
(The use of "simple" may further disclose the extent of newbieness I
suffer from with respect to VPN)

Your thoughts, hints, tips, tricks, encouragements and discouragements
are welcomed.

David Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas
drankin at cox-internet.com