smbmount - file permissions on RH7

Dormition Skete dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 03:59:10 GMT 2001

Greetings in Christ.

If I change it to uid=nmetsovo the error message does not occur.  However, I
want the drives to be mounted at boot time, and I don't want others to mess
with them... or to have to mess with them.  I also don't want our users to
have to go through a login screen to access a share on another computer.

Redhat has this "User Private Group" (UPG) scheme where each user has their
own private, primary group.

According to their documentation, if I understand it correctly, one should
be able to:

mkdir /mnt/MtAthos-c
chown -R root.smbusers /mnt/MtAthos-c

Page 30 RH7 Reference Guide:  (with the names changed)

To allow the users to actually create files in the directory you enter:

chmod 775 /mnt/MtAthos-c

But when a user creates a new file it is assigned the group of the user's
defualt group (usually "users").  To prevent this you enter:

chmod 2775 /mnt/MtAthos-c

which causes everything in the directory to be created with the "smb" group.

It doesn't seem to be working this way, though.  When RH7 goes to set the
uid and gid for the created file, I get:

cd /home/nmetsovo
cp .Xclients-default /mnt/MtAthos-c/temp/
cp: preserving permissions for
'/mnt/MtAthos-c/temp/.Xclients-default':Operation not permitted

It goes ahead and changes the uid and gid to however it is set when I mount
it, but it gives me this pesky error message, which is killing me...

No matter how I mount this drive, I get this message -- whether I try to
copy a file through a terminal window, KDE 2.1, or Gnome.  Gnome says:
"Cannot chmod target file <filename>.  Operation not permitted (1)"

dmesg didn't show anything worth noting.

I don't know what "o" is for, but it is in a couple of examples in the
documentation.  If you don't start with it, though, it will prompt you for a
password even if you try to mount the drive as "guest".

I've been struggling with this problem for months -- and putting up with it
in the meantime -- but I have to get this resolved.  If anyone could please
shed some light on this I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.

In Christ,

Br. Nicholas