Linux box WINS client ONLY

Maurice Galland maurice.galland at kariboo.com
Wed Mar 7 18:06:33 GMT 2001

Hi there,

I would appreciate some help on the following problem: I am trying to
set up Samba on a Linux box to get the only functionality of WINS name
resolution as a client. I especially do NOT want to participate in the
browsing process. I would like this box to be as invisible as possible
regarding to NetBIOS.

Here is my smb.conf file:

---- START smb.conf

[global]

  workgroup = WHATEVER
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  max log size = 0
  security = user
  local master = no
  browse list = no
  announce as = Win95
  announce version = 2.0
  os level = 0
  name resolve order = host wins
  wins support = no
  wins server = 192.168.10.100
  wins proxy = no
  dns proxy = no

---- END smb.conf

I start the nmbd daemon only.

What I do not understand well is how to separate the WINS client from
the browsing part with Samba. What is going to happen if two boxes with
the same configuration are on the same subnet ? Will there be an
election of the local master browser for the WHATEVER workgroup ? Will
the systems be visible in this workgroup ? When I setup a Win98 machine
in this workgroup, the Linux box is visible but no resources are
browsable, which is expected. Can I make the Linux box totally
disappear, not broadcasting, but still being able to resolve WINS names
?

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I'm not following this list. Thanks in
advance to answer directly to my email address. I'll post a digest to
the list if a solution is found :-)

Maurice

Maurice Galland                            maurice.galland at kariboo.com
Kariboo Technologies SA                          Tel: +41 21 641 05 50
Chemin de la Forêt 4                             Fax: +41 21 641 05 52
1018 Lausanne - Switzerland