Problems upgrading samba

William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wcolburn at nmt.edu
Wed Mar 7 16:28:43 GMT 2001

I have inheirited a samba-1.9.18p4 running on an alpha machine.  I want
to upgrade it to something newer.  The machine serves a disk filled with
network installs of our commercial software.

I have tried installing both samba-2.0.7 and samba-2.2.0-alpha2, but
both cause failures on the DOS machines.  In specific, Corel WordPerfect
8 exits with an illegal instruction if a newer version of Samba is
running on the file server.

The registry file for corel we use has some references to "\PRODU~2L\" in
it, instead of "\PRODUCTIVITY\".  Could it be that a name mangling change
between the older and newer samabas is to blame for this?

Below is the legacy smb.conf file the samba server uses.  The old samba
had "share modes = no" in it since it was first installed, and no "lock
directory" defined.  After reading the smb.conf man page I decided that
share modes sounded like a good idea, so turned them on.

[global]
   debug level = 1
   protocol = NT1
   password level = 5
   os level = 20
   workgroup = TCC
   password server = prism.nmt.edu
   security = server
   remote announce = 129.138.3.255

   log file = /var/adm/samba/var/samba.log
   lock directory = /var/adm/samba/var/locks

[apps]
  comment = PC Applications
  path = /thorium/apps
  public = no
  writeable = yes

[globalwin]
        comment = Global PC Apps
        path = /thorium/globalwin
        public = yes
        guest account = nobody
        writeable = no
        guest only = yes

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn at nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology