Ports in close state

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Mar 6 20:29:11 GMT 2001

On 6 Mar 2001, coruscare wrote:

> I have a machine running redhat 6.2 and samba 2.0.6 that does a
> persistent mount to my Windows 2000 machine for the purposes of
> serving files via FTP.

Try upgrading to samba 2.0.7 plus this patch
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbmount-2.0.7-ascii+fixes.patch

It should fix the bug with sockets not being closed and fixes a few memory
leaks.

Be sure to use 2.2.18 if you are going to do serious smbfs work, earlier
versions have a few rarely triggered but nasty bugs that may corrupt
memory.

> I've got SO_KEEPALIVE active in the socket options in my SMB.CONF to
> try and maintain the connections.

Being disconnected seems to be unavoidable. With winNT you can set the
autodisconnect timeout of the server with this registry setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\autodisconnect
Valid values: -1 to 65535 minutes (?)

I think that setting works with win2k as well.

> Mar  5 11:14:59 trentuc kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000040

Ouch. But this does not have to be directly related to the sockets waiting
in close.

/Urban