Status of samba projects

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Mar 6 16:08:03 GMT 2001

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:15:24 Ragnar Wisløff wrote:

> Gerald Carter wrote:
> >
> > Samba 2.0.x is no longer being developered.  Samba 2.2
> > was frozen from the HEAD branch several months ago.  The
> > HEAD branch will become Samba 3.0.
>
> This is partly what has confused me. There is a 2.2.0-alpha2
> on the samba.org, ("A new alpha version of what will become
> Samba 2.2.0"). Is this then being worked on by a different
> team? Does the HEAD acronym have a particular meaning?

Sorry.  Have been tied up the past few days.

HEAD is the name ofthe main CVS development branch (this is a
CVS term).  The SAMBA Team is one group of people.  SAMBA_2_2
was a snapshot of the HEAD CVS branch at a given point in
time.  After this there are two branches now  (1) the proposed
rel4ease branch, and (2) the development branch.

Jeremy heads up the release branch and Andrew heads up the
development branch.  Fixes to one branch that are applicable
are mergeed into the other branch.  Most people often work
on both at one time or another.

make any more sense now?

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com