(no subject)

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Mar 6 14:53:25 GMT 2001

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:20:04 Carl Fox wrote:

> I CANNOT use Samba because it fails to let me into
> my Linux server which is running it from my Windows98
> network neighborhood icon.  It keeps requiring a password.

Hmmm....[puts on thinking cap to fill in the lack of
details provided...]

I'm guessing you need to do one of two things

  o if using clear text passwords, then enable
    plain text on the Win98 client (see Win98_PlainPassword.reg
    included in the Samba course).  You may also need to set
    a password level value (see smb.conf(5) for more information
    on this.

  o enable 'encrypt passwords = yes' on the Samba host
    and read docs/textdocs/ENCRYPTION.txt for more details

If neither of these work, then give me some more details
and I will responsd as much as time allows.

> I can't tell you how pissed off I am!!!

[not directed at Carl in any way.  I've just seen (and responded)
to so many of these types of posts lately it seems]

Why do people feel that posts like this will solicit
more help?  Sadly enough they invariably do, and we seem
to be re-inforcing this

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org