Encrypted passwords for Windows 2000

Emanuel Duarte emanuel.duarte at icerr.pt
Tue Mar 6 14:25:59 GMT 2001

Does anyone Know the procedure for Windows 2000 workstation, in order to not
encrypt passwords.
What I needed is something similar to the transcription I make below that
works for windows nt4 and 98.

Thank's

Emanuel Duarte
(Portugal)

**********************************
This should take care of the "clear text password" problemsyou've
encountered:
For Win 98 (To enable "clear text passwords"):   1) Launch Registry Editor
  2) Double Click on: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  3) Locate
/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/VxD/VNETSUP
  4) From the menu bar select Edit/New/DWORD Value
  5) Rename the entry from "New Value #1" to:        EnablePlainTextPassword
  6) Press Enter, then double click on the new entry.
     A dialog box will pop up and enable you to set a value.
     Set this value to 1.  7) You MUST reboot to enable this change.
For Windows NT 4.0 AFTER Service Pack 3:
  1) Launch Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE)
  2) Double Click on: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  3) Locate
/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Rdr/Parameters
  4) From the menu bar select Edit/Add-Value
  5) Value name: EnablePlainTextPassword     Data type: REG_DWORD
     Data value: 1  6) Click OK, and quit REGEDT32
  7) You MUST reboot to put this change into effect.Rick Piasecki
bdavies at sagus-security.com