Urgent Discussion abt the performance

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Mar 6 13:30:14 GMT 2001

Davinder Pal Singh wrote:
> I'm using Disc Access third party s/w from Integraph on windows to access my
> solaris machine share folders.

	This is an NFS client, if I remember correctly.

>		But i wanna use samba..is there any way that i
> can show that the download speed is faster in samba....and wht are the other
> consideration which i can propose to my management..

	It can be either faster or slower: you'd need to do
	a small benchmark to see.

	The big consideration is that client-side programs require
	someone to install one on every PC in the company, pay
	the renewal bill each year and walk around fixing them
	when they get hammered.  Samba, on the other hand, is
	inexpensive and is centrally managed: you fix it from
	your desk, and let the PC hardware guys reload the clients
	when the user blows their (un-backed-up) disk.

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com