Configuring Swat Revisited

Russ Brucks russb at kfoc.net
Mon Mar 5 22:22:00 GMT 2001

Okay, here's what you need to do.  You have to configure apache.  This won't
be too hard.  You will need to edit the httpd.conf located in
/etc/httpd/conf directory.  Look through the httpd.conf file until you find
this line:

#Servername localhost

It may or may not have the # in front of it.  You need to edit this line and
make it say:

Servername yourservernamegoeshere

For example, my server is named discfarm, so this line looks like this in my
httpd.conf file:

Servername discfarm

Notice there is no # in front of the line.  Putting a # in front of a line
makes apache think it is just a comment.  (A very common Linux/Un*x
practice)  The httpd.conf is a big file, in my file the line containing
'Severname discfarm' was number 398.  You can determine on what line this
occurs in your file by using this command:

grep -ni "servername" /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

The output of the command is     line number : line string

You may also need to enable the CGI script handler.  I'm not sure if SWAT
uses this or not.  Use grep again to find the line number for this change:

grep -ni "AddHandler cgi-script" /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

Mine reported it to be line number 810.  (Learn to use grep, it is a
powerful ally!)
All you need to do to enable the AddHandler cgi-script line is to remove the
# from in front of it.  If you are familiar with the vi text editor, you can
start vi with:

vi +linenumber httpd.conf       For example, vi +810 httpd.conf will start
the editor right at the 810th line.

If you are unsure how to use vi (it can be a bit intimidating at first until
you understand how it operates) then either read the man page on vi, or use
another editor you are confortable with.  Once all of this is done, go ahead
and restart the apache daemon with:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart

This should get you a properly configured web server to run SWAT.  Hopefully
this will get you off and running.  If not feel free to email me again.

Cheers,

Russ

===== Original Message from stcornelius at Tusk.Edu (Sean Cornelius) at 3/05/01
2:47 pm