Preloading WINS registrations

JON GERDES GERDESJ at gkn-whl.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 13:40:54 GMT 2001

Just noticed that according to SWAT and the man page "dns proxy = on" is the default.  Presumably, it wasn't in the past and I'd never turned it on.  I've been re-using the same smb.conf for ages and several versions now ...

Cheers
Jon G

>>> "JON GERDES" <GERDESJ at gkn-whl.co.uk> 03/05/01 01:14pm >>>
Andrew

Thanks for the note.  That looks exactly right.  Not sure how I missed dns proxy and its implications, I've been Samba'ing for several years now and thought I'd seen most problems. The man page makes it pretty clear that this is what I need.  Time to RTFM again 8)

However, it doesn't explain how boxes "disappear" from nmbd.  The worst affendors seem to be smbd's and not NT boxen 8(

Cheers
Jon Gerdes