FWD: Configuring Swat

Russ Brucks russb at kfoc.net
Fri Mar 2 19:43:00 GMT 2001

Hi Sean,

I had this problem when I upgraded our servers to RedHat 7.  In RedHat 7
they changed from running the inetd.d to running xinetd.d.  This is the
daemon that figures out what programs to start when a port is accessed.
Port 901 is for swat, this is configured in your /etc/services file.  In the
/etc/xinetd.d/ directory you'll find a file called swat.  Edit this file so
it looks like this:

service swat
{
	port	= 901
	socket_type	= stream
	wait	= no
	user	= root
	server	= /usr/sbin/swat
	log_on_failure	+= USERID
}

The swat service is disabled by default.  This will enable it.  Also, be
sure to to restart the xinetd.d or else you will be left scratching your
head, wondering why I gave you bum scoop.  :-)  You can restart xinetd.d by
running this command.  (You should be doing all of this as root, btw.)

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

That should get you running SWAT.  If you have any other questions, feel
free to email me at   russb at kfoc.net

cheers,

Russ

===== Original Message from stcornelius at Tusk.Edu (Sean Cornelius) at 3/02/01
1:21 pm

this is my first time and I'm lost. I'm sure Samba is loaded to the system.
Oh I using Linux RedHat 7.0. I'm now lost on how to get the swat working, if
anyone could shed any light on this