How it works

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Thu Mar 1 20:35:11 GMT 2001

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 03:53:59 Lech Pankowski wrote:

> Hallo,

Hallo :-)

> Maybe someone would be able to tell me where in
> the Internet can be found a fairly detailed
>                 HOW DOES SAMBA WORK ???

Why do you yell ?

> 1.What happens step by step when I issue "smb start"
> on my Linux host?

This is a standard SystemV style init script.  Check
out documentation for your system concerning run
levels and init scripts.

> 2.What when I browse "Network Neighbourhood" on a
> Windows PC (of course with Samba running on a Linux
> host in the same LAN)?

This is more complicated.  You'll want the protocol browsing
suggestions^H^H^H^Hspecifications :-)  See

     http://us1.samba.org/samba/devel-links.html

for some related links

> 3.What if I try to connect Windows shares (smbmount)?

Either read the smbmount man pages, locate one of the
many Samba books, or read the source code.  What is it
that you want to know.

> 4.How can the above procedures be checked (suppose
> sth. doesn't work)?

See DIAGNOSIS.txt or UNIX_INSTALL.txt included with
the samba source.

> P. S. How to contact Andrew Tridgell from Samba
> Development Team (e-mail)?

See http://us1.samba.org/samba/team.html for more information
about Samba Team members.

If you will provide more specific questions, we will gladly
supply more specific answers.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org