What is the full story with roaming profiles?

John Paterson thepatersons at uq.net.au
Thu Mar 1 13:28:36 GMT 2001

I have a stable configuration of a Samba 2.0.5a server on Redhat 6.0 and Win
95 and Win98 clients that has been running for over a year. Samba provides
several file shares which are mapped to specific drives by user logon
scripts. Being pedantic among other things  I map a shared group share to G:
and a user home share  H:.  When I attempt to implement roaming profiles as
per "Using Samba - O'Reilly pp194-196" I end up with an overriding of my
mapping of home to H: by what appears to be an automatic mapping of the
profiles share to H:

In searching through the immediate past archives of this digest I discovered
the Bryan Feir submission of  the 22 November 2000 and I have read the Samba
DOMAINS.txt  document but some of the story still appears to be untold here.
All discussion appears to be on work arounds.  Is either logon path or a
profile share automatically mapped to H: by Samba and if this is a "feature"
is there a way of turning it off?