Samba on System V?

Christopher Houghton hough at cs.rhul.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 16:08:16 GMT 2001

I have been asked to install Samba on a UNIX box running 'UNIX System V
Release 4.0' with a sparc processor.  However, I am running into a little
trouble and wonder if anyone on this list can help.

Firstly, I am assuming that there are no binaries for this kind of system
out there.  I have tried the binaries for Solaris 2.5.1 (closest match)
and have run into a few problems.  It will install fine, but 'ldd'
on smbd and nmbd reveals that libsec.so.1 is missing on this system, which
obviously causes errors when trying to run the daemons.  If I locate a
copy of the libsec.so.1 files from Solaris 2.5.1 'ldd' reports that all is
fine, and SWAT will now run, but both the daemons give an error message
from ld.so.1 to the effect that srandom can't be found.

Unfortunately, I am also having trouble using the sources.  This machine
has no compiler on it, and surprise surprise I can't find binaries for any
compilers for it.

I have never had any problems with Samba before so any help with this will
be greatfully received as I am fast going grey.

Chris Houghton.