Samba quota 'feature' fix?

Alin Osan aline at home.ro
Wed Jan 31 09:23:03 GMT 2001

On 25 Jan 2001, at 10:28, Jon Monroe wrote:

> Hey Guys and Gals,
>
> I'm wondering if the quotas.c file is supposed to fix the problem
> where a Linux x86 system running with the quota software causes
> corrupt files to be written by Windows clients. I compiled it in and
> it didn't seem to make a difference for the following problem.
>
> In other words, if I enable quotas on my RH6.2 / 2.2.16-22 kernel box
> and then write a file via Samba/Windows client that exceeds the quota,
> every byte written from the Windows client to the local (no NFS) Linux
> Samba share is written anyway, except that the data seems to be all
> zeros? Every byte before the quota is as it should be.
>
> Would it be possible to modify the 2.0 code to cause this file
> (directory if quota inodes) to instead be deleted? I heard that this
> might be changed in the 2.2 code, but I'd like to use this in a
> production environment.
>
> I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere.... I looked
> through the files included with the source, and the files on
> samba.org. I also took a peek at the CVS site, though I could be doing
> something wrong there.
>
> So, what kind of pizza vouchers work in Austrailia -- how many would
> you like? :))
>
> Thanks,
> Jon
>
> Jon Monroe
> Systems Administrator
> ImageBuilder / Active Arts / SportsMVP.com
> (503) 684-5806 x 778
> (503) 403-1614 FAX

What version of Samba do you have? Did you try this as an regular
user?
Quota works just fine on my RH6.2 kernel 2.4.0 and so does
samba (2.0.7). What happens to you is quota problem and has
nothing to do with samba. It will ,or not do, acording to your
system configuration.

Alin Osan
Network Administrator
"Fundatia Casa"