Password server option necessary?

Nimish Philip nimish.philip at kssb.kroschu.com
Tue Jan 30 15:31:11 GMT 2001

Hello Don

Firstly, thank you for your reply.

I believe samba 2.0.7 defaults to user-security, so when users login at their
Win2k PC's
they should automatically be logged onto the Unix server as well, right? (all
users have full accounts on the Unix server)

Do I still need to create users with smbpasswd?

I have edited the registries of all the Win2k clients as well to
EnablePlainTextPassword as per the MS support website.

A user can login and see the workgroup,when they try to access a share they
are asked for a username and password which is identical to their login
username and password.

They are then able to map this share as a drive.

The problem is, when they logout and login again, they cannot access the
mapped drives.
They have to disconnect the previously mapped drives  and then remap the
shares again going through the whole process again, login etc..( they meaning
I ..:-))

I can't figure out what's causing this. Maybe some win2k setting?

Many thanks!