More woes

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Jan 30 13:58:23 GMT 2001

Hi Steve,
Are you using 2.2 as a PDC? or are you using it in security=domain mode?
If you are using it as a PDC of its own domain, then you have to add unix
accounts of the form (netbiosmachinename$:*:uid:gid:comment::)
for each NT machine that will be part of the domain, as well as doing a
smbpasswd -a -m netbiosmachinename  (without the $, it gets appended
automatically) to get your machine account into the smbpasswd file.

If you are using 2.2 as a member server in security=domain mode, you will
need to add a machine account via server manager to the nt domain that you
will be joining and run smbpasswd -j domainname -r pdcname

There is a good discussion of all of this in chapter 6 of the "Using Samba"
book by O'Reilly, which you can see online at the following url:

http://us2.samba.org/samba/oreilly/using_samba/

Hope this helps,
Don