Samba and Win2k

Julian Sinclair j.sinclair at fegs.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 12:24:57 GMT 2001

All,

Just received our first win2k/sp1 machine here. We currently have two
solaris 2.6 samba installations running. One is on our print server and
is version 1.19.something. The other is on our file server and is
version 2.0.0.

The win2k machine seems quite happy to print from the 1.19 version and
there seem to be problems there.

However, when I try to connect to the file server machine I get the
following error in windows.

"The remote procedure called failed and did not execute"

the following lines also appear in my log.smb file:

[2001/01/29 11:41:30, 2] smbd/reply.c:reply_special(95)
  netbios connect: name1=[SAMBA SERVER]         name2=[WIN2K CLIENT]
[2001/01/29 11:41:33, 2] smbd/server.c:exit_server(406)
  Closing connections

The upshot of this to me appears to be a need to upgrade my samba
installation or is there a fix/windows setup change that will prevent me
from having to upgrade ?

Julian