multi user access to 1 data file

Chris Herrmann chris at faredge.com.au
Sat Jan 27 22:49:50 GMT 2001

Here's some advice I received which fixed up my problems:

-----------------------------------
Yeah I'm becoming more confident every day... (fingers crossed).

The problem appears to be that the MYOB doesn't use any of the
file locking semantics provided by windows, so VREDIR.VXD caches
the Premier datafile. It doesn't take long to see how with multiple
users, that data file can get corrupted. The caching algorithm was
changed a few times throughout the life of Win95, and Win98 is a
big improvement, which is why you probably aren't seeing the
problem with the Win98 boxes.

The MS knowledge base articles that I found most helpful are Q152186,
Q148367, Q174371, Q142803.

I just upgraded to vredir.vxd version 4.00.1116 and set up a registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VREDIR\DiscardCache
OnOpen=1

which is detailed in some of those knowledge base articles.

I have attached the VREDUPD.exe file which includes the vredir update.

I also turned off oplocks and level2 oplocks on Samba to make sure that the
Samba locking didn't get in the way, which I think was probably
unneccessary.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Alex.