Samba as PDC

Mitchell Lynn mlynn at kc.rr.com
Sat Jan 27 22:13:47 GMT 2001

I hope these questions are appropriate for this list, but I am at my wits
end.

I have recently set up my first Linux machine running Slackware 7.1 and
configured Samba as a PDC. Unfortunately, I have run into a couple of
problems for which I can't find answers. Here are the problems.

1. My two Windows 98 client connect with no problem. However, when I try to
share a folder on one of these clients, I get an error (when adding users)
that the list of users is not available and to try again later. Any
suggestions on this would be most appreciated.

2. Over the past couple of weeks I have spent a great deal of time reading
through a pair of books on Samba that are online. I have followed their
suggestions very carefully when it comes to setting up shares. However, it
seems that I can't access these shares from the 98 clients unless I use
chmod to set permissions on those directories to 777. It would appear that
I should be able to allow members of a group--call it family--to be able to
do whatever they want in that directory while denying everyone outside of
that group access or at least deny them the ability to add or change files
within those directories.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch