Permissions Problem

Chris Herrmann chris at faredge.com.au
Fri Jan 26 02:31:07 GMT 2001

is it supposed to be @Accounting ???

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-admin at lists.samba.org [mailto:samba-admin at lists.samba.org]On
Behalf Of Dustin Butler
Sent: Friday, 26 January 2001 11:52
To: samba (E-mail)
Subject: Permissions Problem

Hi Crazy Samba People,

I've set up a share with the following attributes.

[test]
  path = /home/test
  comment = Testing Permissions
  write list = +Accounting
  read list = +Accounting

The directory /home/test has the following permissions

drwxrwxrwx   2 root     root         4096 Jan 25 11:23 test

I'm connecting from a windows workstation with a user that is not in the
Accounting group.  When I try to copy a file to the share I get an accessed
denied message, which is what I want.  When I read a file from the share I
am able to do so successfully which is not what I want.  I realize Samba
must use the system file permissions but shouldn't the config override them
for reading as it did for the writing?

Thanks,
Dustin