CR - CR+LF automatic interpretation using smbmount

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Jan 25 19:51:35 GMT 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Andrés Seco Hernández wrote:

> Currently we have a conversion program, but, if that can be an automatic
> feature, i do not know what to delete that code.
>
> What was the reason to remove that code from 2.4.0?

I'm guessing it was too ugly to live ...

Removing the translation makes the code simpler and allows it to reuse
standard routines that expect a block of data to be the size of a block,
and not a block + a few bytes.

I'm sure there are some interesting bugs caused by the translation. The
man page for mount I have mentions this regarding the conv option:

              Programs that do computed lseeks won't like in-ker­
              nel text conversion.  Several people have had their
              data ruined by this translation. Beware!

Using a manual conversion program or editors/programs that handle both
CRLF and plain LF is a much better/safer solution.

/Urban