smbpasswd utility accessing the wrong file

peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Thu Jan 25 05:48:54 GMT 2001

I was in a bit of a hurry last time I posted this problem, so I will try to make
myself a bit clearer and hopefully

someone will be able to help me.

     Usually we use a program "pwdump" to extract password files from our NT
machines and then copy and paste the password

to our smbpasswd file.  However, I want to use the smbpasswd utility to make
passwords for some Win95 users.  I realise I could

just create the password on an NT box and paste it in, but it would be handy to
use smbpasswd utility, and also, I am curious as to why it
is checking the  wrong file, and how to change this.

     Basically, the smbpasswd utility is not adding users to the smbpasswd file
that we use for authenticating,  instead it is adding

people to and looking for people in the default location for the password file.
If there is no file in the default location, it is creating one ( I think).

I have the conf file  parameter "smb password file = " set to the correct
location

(wouldn't be authenticating people otherwise), and when I run testparm  it
reports that the smb password file is the correct location.

     Where does smbpasswd get its info regarding the location of smbpasswd file
and how can I change this?

I really don't want to reconfigure Samba and use the "with privatedir"
parameter.  Is there any other way?

     If there's no way to change this behaviour, I can handle that...  I would
just like to know.

I am using Samba 2.0.7  on Solaris 8 for file and print serving with NT4  and
Win9x clients in a peer to peer network,

i.e. no domain setup, just workgroups.

any help would be appreciated

thanks for your time

-peter.

p.s.  to the person who answered my first post (sorry forget your name), thanks
but it didn't solve my problem

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or National Transport Secretariat, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.