Red Hat 6.2 vs NT/Windows 2K

Alin Osan aline at home.ro
Thu Jan 25 08:40:17 GMT 2001

On 24 Jan 2001, at 17:28, Peter Klosky wrote:

> Alin,
>
> My needs are to perform a "map network drive" on the Windows host,
> then be able to open files that are stored on the Linux Samba host.
> Here is my current smb.conf, which describes a share named "swdist"
> that I would like to see.  I'm thinking this is the most basic
> possible need.  I also include the log file from the session which
> fails to even negotiate a protocol, much less mention a share name or
> user name, as a proper mapping would include.
>
> Peter
>
> [root at linux-fs2 samba]# cat /etc/smb.conf
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from dhcp116-12.resva.trw.com (158.114.116.12)
> # Date: 2000/06/06 15:53:08
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = MARC
>         server string = linux-fs2 Samba Server
>         security = USER
>         encrypt passwords = no
>         hosts equiv = /etc/smb_hosts.equiv
>         log level = 10
>         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>         max log size = 100
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 dns
>         proxy = No comment = linux-fs2 shares
>
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         guest account = ftp
>         read list = silly
>         guest ok = Yes
>         browseable = No
>
> [swdist]
>         comment = Read-only share of /usr2/dist
>         path = /usr2/dist
>         guest ok = Yes
>         writable = no
>
> [swdistadmin]
>         comment = Read and write share of /usr2/dist
>         path = /usr2/dist
>         guest ok = No
>         writable = yes
>         username = mvellayan,pklosky
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         print ok = Yes
>         browseable = No

Peter,

The first problem is in [global]. You need to have "encrypt
passwords = yes" if you have win95 OSR2, 98, NT or 2000.
All MS new products broadcast encrypted passwords, unless you
change it in registry. Now you can make all your shares to work
and administer proper permissions. You have to make it right
because Linux uses authetification for every move you make on it's
file system and some rights are over-written by Samba.

Alin Osan
Network Administrator
"Fundatia Casa"
http://www.tryrom.com/casa