Regarding slow transfer speeds with Samba --> Windows and FA311

Damien Joldersma damien.joldersma at vykor.com
Wed Jan 24 02:18:56 GMT 2001

I recently ran into significant problems with a network configuration in
which transfers from the samba linux box to a windows box was taking a
unreasonbly large amount of time. Transfer speeds looked like 5k/sec vs
ftp with the same file/machine setup, 750k/sec.

I found a solution to my problem. My problem I think was something the
duplex mode whether it was incorrectly configured in the driver and/or
swith router I'm not sure.  My solution was to not use the fa311.o
module available from netgear's website but instead use the natsemi
driver located at
http://www.scyld.com/network/natsemi.html.

After installing this driver, my speed problems went away.

I hope this helps anyone else who is struggling!

-Damien Joldersma
damien.joldersma at vykor.com