can't login in mornings

Peter Michael Düppenbecker peter at dueppenbecker.de
Wed Jan 24 14:27:22 GMT 2001

Hi Larry,

    I think I understand your problem. On different networks, with and
without a Samba server, with and without a WINS server and with and without
a PDC I noticed that you can't see the computers of your network directly in
the Windows Networking Neighborhood - you have to wait up to 10 s, but then
everything seems to be OK.

    I suppose your problems are based on this. So you've got a name
resolution problem or a problem in your acces configuration (perhaps your NT
box?). Please try following things:

    If I understand you right, you're using the "net" command to map your
shares. Please use the map command in the Windows Explorer if possible.

    Try to use the IP-adress of your samba server insted of the NetBIOS
name. For example "net use x: \\192.16.200.1\share". This could solve youre
problems if your problem is a problem with name resolution.

    One question: Is your PDC also the WINS server? If not this could cause
problems. (I'm not sure and I've got no experience with Windows XXX as PDC)

    Try to change the "Network logon options" in the "Client for Microsoft
Networks Properities".

Please mail me the relevant parts of your log files and please mail me if
you solved the problem.

MfG PMD

feel free to correct my english!