Diskless Clients and Samba

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 02:50:28 GMT 2001

Greetings,

I aim to produce a network running win98 as the
clients, what i wish to do, is map c: to a share on
the samba server and then boot windows from that
share.  At first i just want to use a boot floppy,
then i will use netboot to retrieve command.com etc.

The problem that I have is that before i can boot
windows, i need to net use \\server\share then run
win.com. I had first intended creating a boot disk for
dos, and then using autoexec.bat and config.sys to
load the network drivers and map the share, set the
path and call win, however when i do this windows does
not load because its running dos.

Does anybody know if what i am trying to achieve is
possible and if so, if there are any free software
packages that can do this?

TIA

David

=====
"Artificial Intelligence is no match for human stupitity!"